The first match was played on North Hagley Park in 1883. Since that time numbers have swelled to 23 playing fifteens in 2006. The club, originally based on the old University site (now the Arts Centre) moved to the Ilam site and developed the Old Registrar’s House as a home for University rugby. Our original investment has grown to a capital investment worth over $1,700, 000. We are proud of our liaison with Universities world wide and have embarked upon numerous overseas tours to Japan, Australia, China, Europe, West Coast USA, Canada, Malaysia, and the Pacific Islands.
Over the clubs history: 23 All Blacks, 21 Black Ferns, 162 NZ Universities (men), 161 Canterbury A (men), 69 Canterbury A (women), 6 Canterbury Crusaders’ players (professional team). Some of our more recent All Blacks & Black Ferns are featured below:
Ivan Bolton, John Nevin, John Creighton, Steve Comer, Dr Brian Molloy, Yoshihiro Sakata, Mark Meates, John Edmondson, AC (Tony) Timpson, Julie Reynolds, Lindsay North, Les Black, John Barr, Lindsay Parker, Matthew Donaldson.